Not too long ago I wrote a post regarding some good books to delve into which you might enjoy as I have. The majority of them are ones that I grew up reading in the 80’s and 90’s. They’re like old friends.
Lately, I've been going through my old book boxes from storage and I have a few more to add.
I mentioned I would be doing this in one of our latest Wednesday Broadcasts, so here are more for you all:
- The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison.
- The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. I started reading these great stories back when I was in Cub Scouts. They were serialized, graphic novel format, in the back of the Scouting magazine called “Boy’s Life”. Years later, I purchased the books.
- I, Vampire by Michael Romkey.
- ANYTHING by H.P. Lovecraft. I would suggest starting off with “Call of Cthulhu” or “The Rats in the Walls”, both of which are short stories found in most Lovecraft story collections.
- The Vampire Files series of books by P.N. Elrod. Prohibition era vampire teams up with a private detective. Good stuff. Quite the Noir flavor. TJ would dig this. So will you.
- Robert E, Howard’s “Solomon Kane” short story series. You can pick up “The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane” to start.
- Contemporary Fantasy series (9 of them) by Tom Deitz. Not official, though I suppose it could be called the ‘David Sullivan Series’ the name of the main character. The first book is called, ‘Windmaster’s Bane’. Very, very good.
- The Robotech novels by house name Jack McKinney. These enjoyable novelizations of the Robotech animated series which aired in the United States in the mid-80’s.
- F. Paul Wilson’s ‘Repairman Jack’ books. These are most excellent. I, and my buddy John, interview him here : Legends of Tabletop
- Let’s get Literary now - ANYTHING by Ernest Hemingway. I got a start with his writings in high school with The Sun Also Rises. The movie starring Tyrone Powers and Ava Gardner is pretty solid although I read that Hemingway was not overly fond of it. All of you Hemingway haters and naysayers can pound sand. I don’t give a fuck about your opinion. His work is good. Kiss off.
That will do it for this round. More to come. In the meantime, get cracking gentlemen. Pick up a few of these books. Let me know what you think. And yes, as before, I did not provide links to the books. We’re not an affiliates for them and I am not going to hold your hand. You’re all Men. Do the work and research yourselves. It's not the Endgame, it's the Quest.
Now, get off the computer and go read, you pudwacks.